Problem on Trains – Tricks, tips & Questions
This is the important topics for IBPS bank exams and other competitive exams i.e.” Problem on trains”.You can learn some formulas and basic terms used in the problems of the train.If you think that how to solve problems on trains using the shortcut, tricks, and tips for that. For this topic,questions asked in Pre exam and also Main exams.You can also download these study materials in PDF format.
The rate of change of distance with respect to time.
It is the time duration over which the movement has occurred.
Total area covered with in respect of time.
Conversion & Basic points for problems on trains
- km/hr to m/s – Let speed will be ‘a’ km/hr then multiply by m/s
- m/s to km/hr – Let speed will be ‘a’ m/s then multiply by km/hr
- Time taken by a train to pass a pole or standing man or a signal post is equal to the time taken by the train to cover itself.
- Time taken by a train of length l meters to pass a stationery object of length b meters is the time taken by the train to cover (l + b) meters.
- Suppose two trains or two objects bodies are moving in the same direction at u m/s and v m/s, where u > v, then their relative speed is = (u – v) m/s.
- Suppose two trains or two objects bodies are moving in opposite directions at u m/s and v m/s, then their relative speed is = (u + v) m/s.
- If two trains of length a metres and b metres are moving in opposite directions at u m/s and v m/s, then:time taken to cross each other=
If two trains of length a metres and b metres are moving in the same direction at u m/s and v m/s, then:
time taken to cross each other=
- If two trains (or bodies) start at the same time from points A and B towards each other and after crossing they take a and b sec in reaching B and A respectively, then:(A’s speed) : (B’s speed) = :
Example 1 :
A train 240 m long passes a pole in 24 seconds. How long will it take to pass a platform 650 m long?
Speed = m/sec = 10 m/sec.
Required time = sec = 89 sec.
Example 2 :
A 270 meters long train passes a bridge thrice its length in 30 seconds. find the speed of the train in km/hr.
Answer : 270 x 3 + 270 / 30 = 1080 / 30
36 x 18 / 5 = 129.6 km/hr
Example 3 : A 720 meters long train cross a man standing in 60 seconds. What would be the speed of the train ?
Answer :S = D /T
720 / 60 = 12 m/sec.
Example 4 :
A super fast train 140m long crossing a long tunnel of 450m in 20 sec. What would be the speed of train ?
Answer : Speed = distance 1 + distance 2 / Time
140 + 450 = 590 / 20 = 29.5 m/s.
Example 5 : A local train 150 m long passes a boy, and running at 3 km/hr in the same direction, in 10 seconds.
What would be the speed of the train ?
Answer: Speed of the train relative to man =150 / 10 m/sec = 15 m/sec
Convert meters to km=15 x 18 / 5 = 54 km/hr.
Let the speed of the train be x km/hr
x – 3 = 54
x = 51 km/hr.
Example 6 :
A Spice jet covers a certain distance at a speed of 275 kmph in 5 hours. To cover the same distance in 7 / 3 hours, So it travel at a speed of:
the distance at a speed of 275 kmph,
Distance = ( 275 x 5 ) = 1375 km,
we know formula, Speed = Distance / Time
Speed =1375 x 3 / 7 = 4125 / 7 = 589.2 km / hr.
it travels at a speed of 589.2 km / hr.